How To Cake It's Toy Train Cake
HOW TO CAKE IT’S TOY TRAIN CAKE: YO’S ULTIMATE CHOCOLATE CAKE & FAMOUS ITALIAN MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM
How To Cake It
HOW TO CAKE IT ARTIST YOLANDA (@YOLANDA_GAMPP)
How To Cake It’s Toy Train Cake was baked with Yolanda’s Ultimate Chocolate Cake and Famous Italian Meringue Buttercream. To recreate the train cake at home, use the below recipes. Then, use Nostalgia products to bake the treats for each toy train car.
Short on time? You can still create a magical experience for your friends and family. Substitute Yolanda’s cake for a toy train and make the train car treats with Nostalgia products. Nostalgia products make this a fun and easy experience that the entire family can enjoy!
- 2 ¾ cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Table Salt
- 1 cup Dutch-processed Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter, at Room Temperature
- 2 ½ cups Sugar
- 4 Large Eggs, at Room Temperature
- Makes one 9x13-inch cake or one 8-inch round cake (4 pounds of batter)
- 1 ¾ cups Sugar
- ½ cup Water
- 8 Large Egg Whites, at Room Temperature
- 2 cups (4 sticks) Unsalted Butter, cut into tablespoon size pieces, at room temperature
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
YO’S ULTIMATE CHOCOLATE CAKE INGREDIENTS
YO’S FAMOUS ITALIAN MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM INGREDIENTS
YO’S ULTIMATE CHOCOLATE CAKE INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 350F. Line the bottom of each cake pan with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Put the cocoa powder in a medium heatproof bowl. Bring 3 cups water to a boil, then carefully measure exactly 2 cups and pour over the cocoa powder and whisk until completely smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar of medium speed until light and fluffy, about 8 minutes
- Add the eggs, two at a time, beating until each addition is incorporated before adding the next. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula when necessary.
- Add the flour mixture in flour parts, alternating with the warm cocoa mixture in three parts, beating just until each addition is incorporated before adding the next; do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes, rotating the pan(s) halfway through.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely in the pan(s). Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Loosen the edges with a straight spatula, invert the pan(s) to remove the cake, and peel off the parchment.
YO’S FAMOUS ITALIAN MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM INSTRUCTIONS
In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and ½ cup water. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan.
- While the sugar syrup is heating, put the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- When the syrup reaches 230°F on the candy thermometer, begin to whip the egg whites on medium-high speed. Whip until the egg whites are stiff. The idea is to get to this stage of the eggs stiff by the time your syrup reaches 240°F and you can move to the next step.
- When the syrup reaches 240°F, immediately remove the pan from the heat and, with the mixer running, pour the syrup into the egg whites in a very thin stream. Pour the syrup between the side of the bowl and the whisk attachment. Be very careful, this syrup is HOT! You do not want it to hit the whisk attachment and splash you.
- Whip the meringue at high speed until thick and glossy and the bowl is no longer warm on the outside, about 8-12 minutes. The most important thing is that the mixture completely cools down, and when you touch the side of your bowl, you feel no heat. This may take longer for you, or it may happen faster.
- With the mixer running, add the room temperature butter, a piece at a time, whipping until each piece is fully incorporated before adding the next. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula occasionally.
- After all the butter has been added, continue to whip the buttercream until it’s thick and smooth, 3 to 5 minutes. Again, this may take longer! Often when adding the butter the mixture appears to deflate and even become soupy. Do not lose hope! Keep whipping! Beat in the vanilla towards the end.
- Use immediately or transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or the freezer for up to 2 months.